tiles-users mailing list archives

From "Gallagher, Jim \(UK Europe Middle East & Group Functions, Technology Services\)" <Jim.Gallag...@rbs.co.uk>
Subject RE: Issue with retrieving Tiles definitions in code
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:53:04 GMT
Thanks for your message. I'll try to explain more clearly:

Page and menu definitions are stored in two files, pages.xml and menus.xml, which are referenced
in the web.xml as follows:

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>TilesServlet</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>
			org.apache.tiles.web.startup.TilesServlet
		</servlet-class>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.DEFINITIONS_CONFIG</param-name>
			<param-value>/WEB-INF/pages.xml,/WEB-INF/menus.xml</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
	</servlet>

Page definitions consist of templated JSPs, plus a menu item e.g.

	<definition name="/menulayout"
		preparer="com.rbsg.application.cws.brand.jsf.XXXBrandPreparer"
		template="/templates/layout.jsp">
		<put-attribute name="banner" value="/banner.jsp" />
		<put-attribute name="title"
			value="XXXXX Message Application" />
		<put-attribute name="header" value="/header.jsp" />
		<put-attribute name="navigation" value="/navigation.jsp" />
		<put-attribute name="menu" value="nav.main" />
		<put-attribute name="footer" value="/footer.jsp" />
	</definition>

The menu item ("nav.main" above) consists of menu entries, plus a rules definition:

	<definition name="menu.messaging.createmessage"
		extends="menu.mainMenuLayout"
		preparer="com.rbsg.application.cws.web.menu.jsf.TilesMenuRuleControlPreparer">
		<put-attribute name="id" value="menu.messaging.createmessage" />
		<put-attribute name="title" value="Create message" />
		<put-attribute name="link" value="/createmessage.jsp" />
		<put-list-attribute name="rules">
			<add-attribute value="rule.menu.messaging.view" />
		</put-list-attribute>
	</definition>

All of these are read and processed by Tiles automatically & successfully. The preparer
class TilesMenuRuleControlPreparer in the menu is supposed to do retrieve the rules definition
("rule.menu.messaging.view" in the above case), and process it according to our security rules.

A rules definition is defined as follows:

	<definition name="rule.menu.messaging.view">
		<put-attribute name="type" value="one_role" />
		<put-list-attribute name="roles">
			<add-attribute value="ROLE1" />
			<add-attribute value="ROLE2" />
			<add-attribute value="ROLE3" />
		</put-list-attribute>
	</definition>

Ultimately I want to retrieve the rules definition, retrieve the roles specified and process
them according to our own security standards here.

Where it's falling down is that in the TilesMenuRuleControlPreparer class, I'm trying to retrieve
the rules definition as follows:

			DefinitionManager definitionManager = new DefinitionManager(
					"org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.DEFINITIONS_CONFIG");

			Definition def = definitionManager.getDefinition(name,
					tilesRequestContext);

This is failing with a NullPointerException - on debugging, I see that the Factory instance
within the DefinitionManager is null.

I'm trying to find a way to refer to the definition files read in automatically, so I can
retrieve the rules definitions from there.

I hope this explains it further - if not, please get back to me.

                                 Regards,

                                         Jim

Jim Gallagher,
Core Web Security,
Group Technology Solutions,
Royal Bank of Scotland,
Parkgate Business Park,
Parkgate Street,
Dublin 8.
RBS Depot Code: DUB

ITS: 			7-4171-7167
External:		+353-1-648 7167
Internet mail: 	jim.gallagher@rbs.co.uk
P Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.