tiles-users mailing list archives

From Antonio <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: neccessary stepts to use Struts 2+FreeMarker+Tiles2.1
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:48:21 GMT
2008/10/29 Antonio <antonio.petrelli@gmail.com>:
>> Now that the StrutsTilesListener is incompatible with Tile2.1 what can i do?
>
> You might modify that code of StrutsTilesListener and, if you like,
> post a patch to the Struts group. I think they might like it :-D (I
> have commit privileges, so I could commit your patch).

I need to elaborate a bit. The current Struts 2/Tiles 2 integration is
a bit "patched", since it supports only partially the results of
Struts 2 and does not call the necessary code of
TilesContainerFactory.
I would create a StrutsTilesContainerFactory for Tiles 2.1, leaving
the one for 2.0 for compatibility reasons. Probably the new concept of
"Attribute renderer" could help a bit:
http://tiles.apache.org/framework/tutorial/advanced/attribute-rendering.html
The big problem is that Struts 2 manages FreeMarker without the
FreeMarker servlet. This poses a big problem if someone wants to use
FreeMarker for other purposes.

But there's another choice: use Tiles "without" Struts support. Struts
tags will be loaded anyway if you force the servlet to process the
"include" of resources. See
https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/TILES-228?focusedCommentId=42840#action_42840

Anyway, for further questions about the Struts2/Tiles2 plugin ask the
Struts mailing list because it is developed there.

Antonio