tiles-users mailing list archives

From roointan <alakibal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: is it possible to include a bunch of jsps to a single placeholder?
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 04:28:45 GMT

Antonio Petrelli-3 wrote:

> 2008/9/4 roointan <alakibalaki@gmail.com>:
>> we need a mechanism for dynamically including content in web pages.
>
> Take a look at the runtime composition:
> http://tiles.apache.org/tutorial/advanced/runtime.html
> and the view preparer:
> http://tiles.apache.org/tutorial/advanced/preparer.html

thanks for the links.

does tiles have a jira url to request the feature? (a placeholder that
points to a folder. a naming convention for files (eg: "theseFiles*"). if no
file exists, then nothing will be added. but files that match the filter
name, will be added one by one. (eg: theseFiles1.jsp and theseFiles2.jsp for
that placeholder) )

this:
"... , filling its attributes at runtime. To do it, you can use the
<tiles:insertTemplate> tag. The attributes can be put using
<tiles:putAttribute> and related tags."
is not the kinda "runtime setting" i am looking for. i want to be able to
include content dynamically at runtime based on special conditions, as i
wrote, existence of files, with a known naming convention.
overriding configuration by changing jsp files is not what i want.
I have absolutely no experience with tiles. so i need your help. with these
links i'm back to the position I was, checking the documentation to see if
what i'm looking for is available or not. so please help me avoid learning
tiles (!) to see if it has those features. I'm not familiar with templates
and definitions and contexts and so.

by now i see that i need to check for the existence of the files using I/O
APIs myself, and then use Tiles APIs (and write relatively lots of code) to
create templates based on the names of those files. (am i wrong?)
(and do you think there is any other framework better suited to the
requirements?