tiles-users mailing list archives

From Kenneth Eschrich <keschr...@graphlogic.com>
Subject Ignore attribute of insertAttribute not working?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:42:57 GMT
Using Tiles 2.1.0 (beta?)

I have a tile template.jsp, which then inserts other tiles, header.jsp,
footer.jsp, content definition, and side-menu definition. The two
definitions vary with the page being loaded. Everything works great for
the most part, except for one page which does not have a side-menu. When
going to this page I got an exception stating that "Attribute
'side-menu' not found".

Of course I could just create a copy of template.jsp which does not
include the side-menu, but looking at the documentation I found there is
an "ignore" attribute of insertAttribute which "if this attribute is set
to true, and the attribute specified by the name does not exist, simply
return without writing anything. The default value is false, which will
cause a runtime exception to be thrown." So I changed the relevant line
in template.jsp to <tiles:insertAttribute name="side-menu" ignore="true" />

Now, when I go to this particular page I do not get the exception from
before, but rather this: "org.apache.tiles.impl.CannotRenderException:
Cannot render a null attribute"

Any thoughts what could be going on here?

Thanks,
Ken