tiles-users mailing list archives

From JRD <danger_...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Iterate through Attributes
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:04:43 GMT

The begining: I am building an application that has several different
'transactions'.  All transactions collect similar information and all
transactions have the same look and feel.  So transaction 'A' might collect
two addresses and two dates, and transaction 'B' might collect one address,
one text field, and one date.

How a user interacts with a transaction depends both upon the transactions
state and the users security level.  If the transaction is not considered
final and the users security level allows it, the transaction should appear
as a form.  If not the user just sees a read only screen.

For each transaction I have a single JSP (and would like to keep it that
way)

EX:
transaction_a.jsp
[ADDRESS]
[DATE]
[ADDRESS]
[DATE]

transaction_b.jsp
[ADDRESS]
[TEXT]
[DATE]

I want to have a view selector jsp that sits between each component and its
views.

tiles-def file:
<definition name=".output_selector" template=".../output_selector.jsp"/>
<definition name=".text" extends=".output_selector">
	<put-attribute name="dataEntry" value=".../data_entry/text.jsp"/>
	<put-attribute name="readOnly"  value=".../read_only/text.jsp"/>
</definition>
<definition name=".date" extends=".output_selector">
	<put-attribute name="dataEntry" value=".../data_entry/date.jsp"/>
	<put-attribute name="readOnly"  value=".../read_only/date.jsp"/>
</definition>

Going back to my transaction_b.jsp it would look like
<t:insertDefinition name=".text" >
	<t:putAttribute name="property"  value="votingPercentageAcquired" />
	<t:putAttribute name="labelKey"  value="label.votingPrecentageAcquired"/>
	<t:putAttribute name="size"      value="3"/>
	<t:putAttribute name="maxlength" value="3"/>
</t:insertDefinition>
<t:insertDefinition name=".date" >
	<t:putAttribute name="property"  value="effectiveDate" />
	<t:putAttribute name="labelKey"  value="label.effectiveDate"/>
	<t:putAttribute name="format"    value="MM/dd/yyyy"/>
</t:insertDefinition>

This would go to the view selector that would determine the format and then
insert the correct view.  The correct view would need all of the attributes.
For the text it needs field, property, labelKey, size, & maxlength.  For the
date it needs property, labelKey, and format.

As you can see, the view_selector can not make any assumptions about what
properties to pass along, its job is just to select the view and pass along
everything to it.  Every view that uses it has different attributes.

output_selector:
...select approprate view...
<tiles:insertAttribute name="${approprateView}">
	pass everything along to this view...either one by one or all at once
</tiles>