tiles-users mailing list archives

From "Greg Reddin" <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tiles and Portal
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:21:27 GMT
On Dec 20, 2007 9:09 AM, Ninad Tambe <ninadtambe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering why Tiles is not used in any of the
> Portals to layout a complete page. It just seems like
> they are meant for each other. But, the only place
> I've seen Tiles being used in Portals is in Liferay
> which allows only at portlet level, not the entire
> page. Has anyone attempted to do this? Any experiences
> would be really helpful. thanks a lot.

I talked to the Jetspeed people about that a couple years ago. Most of
them have a strong preference for Velocity as evidenced by all the
existing layout options available with Jetspeed. They were open to the
idea of a Tiles-based layout, but they don't have anybody to implement
it. I had to move on to other things before I could implement it. I
also think Tiles would be a much better way for Liferay but, again, it
would take a great deal of time to implement it and I'm not sure if it
could be done without changes to the underlying Liferay code. I found
it easier to just hack and hack Liferay's templates until I got the
site to look how I wanted it to - and hopefully never have to touch it
again :-). Working with LR templates was not a whole lot of fun. They
did actually use Struts-Tiles back in the day but they way they used
it was not the best practice as far as I could tell and it didn't
really give portal designers/developers much of a way to extend and
manipulate the template through Tiles. IIRC I did have some success
creating a JBoss Portal template using Tiles but I can't remember if
it was Tiles 2 or Struts-Tiles. I found with all three portals that
the architecture and capabilities were evolving rather quickly so what
I saw then doesn't necessarily equate to what they have available now.

I get the impression I'll be taking another look at portals in the
next few months. I absolutely believe that if we get into one that is
based on JSP a Tiles templating system would be much better than what
I've seen them doing in the past. But I've been doing strictly JSF
development with Facelets outside of the Portal spec for the last year
or so.

Greg