tiles-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tiles Future Again
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:02:08 GMT
+1 for holding off as long as work is planned.  thx for the update mck!

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Greg Reddin <gredbug@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Mck <mck@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 16:40 -0500, Greg Reddin wrote:
>> > What do you guys think? Should we try to re-kickstart the project or
>> > retire it?
>> I have a backlog of work around velocity and mustache that will result
>> in a release or two. I'm dragging my heels in getting to it but it's
>> expected this quarter. If we could keep the evaluation period open a
>> little longer.
> No problem. As long as there is some activity, or at least planned
> activity, I don't think the board will have a problem with it. And we have
> another quarter before we have to report again.
> But here's the other concern: Apache is more about the community of the
> projects than the substance of the projects. Apache would not like to see a
> project that has only one active committer. My goal for the last couple of
> years has been to help reconstitute the PMC and eventually step down.
> Between you, Nicolas, and myself, we have three voting members. It would be
> good to recruit a few more PMC members if we want to keep the project
> going. That way, the project wouldn't depend on one or two people always
> being active.
> If we don't see that happening, the other option would be to fork the
> project over to GitHub or something, give it a different name, and let
> Tiles go to the attic. Of course, anyone who still wanted to contribute
> could do so. In fact it might be easier with a model like GitHub because
> there would be a lower barrier to entry. The only difference is we wouldn't
> get the legal support, etc. that Apache brings. But, in all the years this
> project has existed, we haven't really needed that anyway.
> So it's something to think about. Again, we don't have to make a decision
> for another quarter. But if we don't see more interest between now and then
> I'd probably recommend the attic.
> Greg
>> ~mck

View raw message