tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas LE BAS <m...@nlebas.net>
Subject Implementing Tiles Request (3/3): In an alien environment
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:01:06 GMT
... Continued from previous message

* Using the Request interface from an alien environment.

  This happens mostly when implementing AutotagRuntime<Request>. You
receive some information from the alien environment and have to build a
Request object from it.

  The main difficulty is analyzing the alien environment. Let's take
velocity for example: you're sitting in a directive (a tag) in the
middle of a template, and you've received a Context object, that in
itself lacks 50% of the features of the Request API. I couldn't find a
good solution to that.

  One way is to adopt one use case (i.e. VelocityView) and support that
use case alone.

  Another way that is advocated by Antonio is to lobby the other project
into adopting the Request API...

  The last way is to try and find out which use case you're processing
and react accordingly. But then you have to compromise between requiring
additional dependencies and slowing things down by using reflexion and
dynamic class loading, which can be touchy and difficult to support in
the long term.

  JSP uses the first approach (use from a servlet container only), and
Freemarker has been easy enough because their API supports most of what
we need. I'm trying the third approach with Velocity but I can't say I'm
satisfied with it.

Comments welcome...