tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Mick Semb Wever <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementing Tiles Request (1/3): the context hierarchy
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:26:52 GMT
On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 14:00 -0400, Nicolas LE BAS wrote:

> Request regroups several concerns into a single interface, the most
> significant are:
> - attributes regrouped by "context". We usually assume these "contexts"
> are hierachical and related to the lifespan of the objects they contain,
> after the fashion of the Servlet API, but very little is explicitely
> defined by the Request API.
> - a Writer serving as output for the renderer.

"resource loading" is another concern Request is currently responsible
for.

> What is "request"? Based on the Serlvet API,

And is it a request from the client's perspective, or a request from
tiles-request-api perspective? For example if we go through some part of
the stack where we cannot maintain or wrap the existing request we are
forced to create a new one – creating multiple request objects,
re-constructing request scopes, for what the client thinks of as only
one. Portlets is one example here...

> And then the other contexts would be optional and treated according to
> their position relative to "request". Do we need to normalize their
> names, like "session" or "page"?

naming "page" scope sounds correct if we implement discarding it at the
end of each renderer.

"session" i think can remain optional. eg it's optional for atom feeds
as you say.

> Then there is this: currently RequestWrapper for instance is just
> delegating all calls to the wrapped request. Should we enforce the
> wrapping policy for the various scopes in an abstract class, for instance?

think i'd rather read that question as a code patch…
although i'm not too sure about all consequences even if it sounds
appropriate.

~mck

--
"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic
religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and

| http://github.com/finn-no | http://tech.finn.no |

--
"When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside can't hurt you."
African proverb

| http://github.com/finn-no | http://tech.finn.no |