tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tiles Futures
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:31:33 GMT
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does these steps have a meaning? Why Tiles should still be an Apache
> project, when Nicolas and Mick successfully used Git (and GitHub) to fork
> and provide a patch?
> Isn't a better thing to move Tiles to the attic and create a new project
> outside of Apache?

That's definitely an option if "them that are doing the work" want to
do it that way. If that's the preferred direction I would not try to
stop it. If you ask my opinion though, I would encourage the team to
stay at Apache. Nathan outlined some really good reasons. I'd just add
this: At work, when I need some code I always go looking for open
source options first. When I find one at Apache, I just use it because
I know it's safe. If I find one at SF, Github, Google Code, etc. I use
it with some hesitancy because I don't have a guaranteed record of
whose code it is and where it came from. I've seen several projects
that don't seem to have any IP provenance at all. Somebody just dumped
code there. It makes you wonder where they got it from and if they had
the rights to post it. Does that put my corporation at risk because
we're using code that might be encumbered by IP rights issues?

The red tape at Apache is red tape. But Apache has a breadcrumb trail
for every bit of code contributed. We at least know that it came from
somebody who has given us a legal declaration that they have the right
to submit it. We also know that, because of the structure of our
license, that code will always be legal for me to freely use.

I think the security and community provided by the Foundation is worth
the extra work.

> But anyway, at least one project (MyBatis) moved away
> from Apache to become a Google Code project.

Note that MyBatis didn't get to keep their name original name,
probably at least partially due to the negativity they generated
surrounding their departure. Apache owns the Tiles trademark, so the
project would need to find another name. Leaving on amicable terms, it
might be possible to get the ASF to release the trademark, but I
believe we are required to only donate it to another non-proffit org
due to tax issues.

> In a GitHub project, they will have much more freedom, no hassle to report
> every three months, etc.

I would not assume that Git/GitHub and Apache will always be
incompatible. If the Tiles devs would prefer to do their work in git
that does not necessarily mean they will need to leave the ASF.

Greg