tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tiles Futures
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 17:36:51 GMT
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
> 2011/12/9 Greg Reddin <gredbug@gmail.com>
>
>> I guess we're essentially trying
>> to reconstitute the project. It's basically like going through the
>> Incubator with Antonio and I (and Nathan) as mentors. Once the "new"
>> PMC is established and running smoothly we will likely elect a new
>> chair and Antonio and I, and I presume Nathan, will go emeritus and
>> let you guys rock on. In fact I will probably include a statement to
>> this effect in our board report which is due this month.
>>

> Hello.
> Does these steps have a meaning? Why Tiles should still be an Apache
> project, when Nicolas and Mick successfully used Git (and GitHub) to fork
> and provide a patch?

The ASF provides, a powerful brand, legal support, continuity (which
signals stability and encourages confidence) and an organizational
structure with a strong record of oversight.

> Isn't a better thing to move Tiles to the attic and create a new project
> outside of Apache?

That's not for you, Greg, or I to answer ultimately.  Those who do the
work make the decisions.  I can help inform from my experience, but i
have no vision for Tiles now and can't answer those questions.

> After all, IMHO, the only good reason for Tiles for being an Apache project
> is the Apache brand.

For many, that is enough.  It may not mean much to adventurous and
free developers, but i've dealt with enough corporate types to know
that Apache X tends to go over a lot smoother than some random project
on GitHub or Google Code or Sourceforge or whatever the project host
flavor of the year is.  Apache projects also promote discoverability
in a way GitHub does not.  Even the hassle of reporting every quarter
keeps a lot of well-connected devs in charge of other projects
informed about your project.  I've learned about a number of useful
Apache projects from those reports.

> But anyway, at least one project (MyBatis) moved away
> from Apache to become a Google Code project.
> In a GitHub project, they will have much more freedom, no hassle to report
> every three months, etc.

Nothing is free, everything has a cost, including freedom.  The Apache
Way is not free or even always convenient, but it has well established
benefits too.  But again, i insist that the choice must be made by
those who have vision for Tiles' future.  You can be sure my vote will
echo that of Mck and Nic. :)