tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas LE BAS <m...@nlebas.net>
Subject Re: rename "util" packages (and remove package tangles)
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 20:51:12 GMT
On 11-12-09 06:19 PM, mck wrote:
> Can we remove/rename util packages...

+1
I'm no fan of "util" classes and static methods either.

> For example in tiles-request-api if we move everything in the util
> package back to the request package, and also ContextResolver up to the
> request package we completely untangle that submodule.

I'd be a little more specific in 3 cases:
* RequestUtil goes into o.a.t.r.collection
* ContextResolver was useful with Tiles 2, but I'm not sure it serves a
purpose anymore. The Request abstraction (with its wrapping mechanisms)
is just more powerful. Perhaps we can remove it entirely.
* if we remove the ContextResolver, very little remains in
ApplicationAccess: only the registration of the ApplicationContext
object within itself (which is awkward, especially since it is used only
by servlets) and a constant that can be moved to the interface
ApplicationContext (or perhaps even to o.a.t.r.servlet.ServletUtil: it
is used only for ServletContexts).
* I like the idea of moving the rest to the top package.

Perhaps we should also take the opportunity to expand the package-level
javadoc.

Nick