tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promote Tiles 3 from sandbox (take2)
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:38:49 GMT
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:10 AM, Mck <mck@apache.org> wrote:
> +1: let's promote them!
> +0: tend to agree on the promotion, but had no chance to review the
> projects deeply;
> -0: tend to disagree on the promotion, but won't veto it;
> -1: don't promote them (please explain why).

+1.

When Antonio originally posted the vote he asked for (as I understood
it) +1's only from people who were committing to actively contribute
to the code. At the time I was unable to commit to that so I think the
vote died. I'm changing my stance now for the following reasons:

1) We've all informally agreed that we don't see much development
future for the Tiles 2x branch, so there's really no reason to
preserve that as the main development line. All of the interest at
this point seems to be pointing towards the 3x line, so let's go ahead
and move that forward.

2) I'm still not in a position where I can commit to active work on
this code, but I am willing to "mentor" the work of others by
providing a voice on the PMC. That means I'm willing to review the
code, check, and vote on releases. If it so happens that I become
comfortable enough with the code to answer support questions, then
I'll also provide support on the users@ list.

I think it is prudent for us as the Tiles PMC to monitor this very
closely. I see this as a final opportunity for the PMC to go active
again. If it does not happen within a reasonable period of time, the
responsible move (IMO) would be for us to go to the attic. If it does
happen and my level of activity remains what it is today, the
responsible thing for me would be to go emeritus (after growing the
PMC with more active members). So, I'm just saying that to fully flesh
out my position on this. I really hope it works out and I'll do what I
can to contribute.

Greg