tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tiles Future
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:45:41 GMT
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/8 Nathan Bubna <nbubna@gmail.com>:
>> I'm not using it anymore, nor am i likely to work on it, nor are
>> either of those likely going to change.  But i don't mind being on the
>> PMC to watch commits and vote on releases.  I also don't see any
>> reason why Antonio couldn't be the chair.  I also don't mind if Apache
>> Tiles goes to the attic and Mick and Antonio fork it elsewhere.  Let
>> them that do the work decide where they want to do it.  I'll support
>> you guys either way.
>
> I'm trying to understand the problem, but I'm convinced that life of
> Tiles at Apache is finished.

unless Mick strongly opposes it, then i suppose that's that.

> Probably a part of the sandbox can still live at Velocity, as part of
> Velocity Tools, because Autotag uses Velocity as its engine and
> Request microframework could be the base for Velocity to become
> independent to servlet technology. I started a thread about this:
> http://velocity.markmail.org/message/4u2j2ih2zi4b3q3e?q=ideas+for+velocity+tools+date:201012
> The "real" Tiles 3 could be moved to a Googlecode project (with
> another name, for trademark reasons) waiting to be included into
> Spring (not necessarily).
> If I become chair, there will be essentially no change in the way
> Tiles is evolving: it will be slow as it is now, with only two active
> committers. I know that you are very helpful when the vote is called,
> but I don't like the fact that you are doing it only because you have
> to vote.

and because i think Tiles is good stuff that should be supported! :)

> And I don't want to become chair only to be "more important", that's
> not my style :-)

well, it's only more important on a resume.  in practical matters,
it's just more work, not more importance. :)

> So, I'd like to pull the plug on Tiles, migrate what we can migrate to
> Velocity and fork it to Googlecode.
> I'd wait for Mick thoughts on it anyway.

sounds fine.