tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Petrelli <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Merging Struts JIRA projects into main JIRA
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:13:15 GMT
Forwarded from Struts Developers mailing list, please answer there....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Turner <jefft@apache.org>
Date: 2010/1/27
Subject: Merging Struts JIRA projects into main JIRA
To: dev@struts.apache.org
Cc: infrastructure@apache.org

Hi,

This coming weekend I'd like to migrate the Struts JIRA
(https://issues.apache.org/struts) contents into the main Apache
JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira). This will include setting httpd
301 redirects to preserve old URLs (including
saved searches and RSS feeds), so hopefully the disturbance will be minimal.

Some background: originally Struts used Bugzilla. In 2006 Webwork
became the new Struts 2, and we needed to import
Webwork's JIRA contents. At the time JIRA did not support
project-level imports, so we had little choice but to create a
separate JIRA instance for Struts [1].  The same thing was done for
other projects (cayenne, roller, activemq, click).
Of course having five JIRAs instead of one is not good for users (who
expect just one login and location) or administrators
(upgrading is extra-painful, and running multiple VMs wastes precious
memory), so when JIRA gained a Project Import
facility we started merging the JIRAs.  Currently just struts and
activemq JIRAs remain, and now I'd like to get them
done too [2,3].

The Struts JIRA has 8825 user accounts. Of these, the 3600 accounts
that have been used in any way (creating issues,
comments, saved searches / RSS filters, etc) will be copied over.
There are 273 accounts that have an equivalent account
(by email address) in the main JIRA. and to avoid duplication, the
main JIRA username will be used.  I'll send out
emails notifying affected users.

About groups, there are 50 'jira-administrators' members in the Struts
JIRA, with permission to do just about anything.
Some of these (husted, bayard, schof, craigmcc, niallp, martinc,
greddin) are also in the main JIRA jira-administrators.
For the rest [4], I propose putting them in a 'struts-administrators'
group granted Project Administrator permission, which
can do project-level things (notably create versions/components) but
doesn't have full access.  Please let me know if
you're in that group and require full access for some reason.

Also, I noticed that although XWork source has been imported, the JIRA
issues are still on http://jira.opensymphony.com.
If there's no objections I'll have a go at importing the XWork issues
too.  This would include putting in http redirects
for http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/XW-*.

I propose doing all this on Sunday midnight UTC (7pm EST, 4pm PST):
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=31&month=1&year=2010&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
The move will take
a few hours, during which the Struts JIRA will be read-only (with a
banner set saying so).  Also, the main JIRA will be
read-only for approximately an hour, as the JIRA Project Importer
locks everyone out.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

--Jeff

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-742
[4] Proposed ex-admins:
Joe Germuska ('germuska')