tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Velocity support: I was completely wrong
Date Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:08:05 GMT
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/16 Nathan Bubna <nbubna@gmail.com>:
>>> Note that the VelocityStyleTilesTool is ok, since it is a *real* tool:
>>> http://tiles.apache.org/framework/apidocs/org/apache/tiles/velocity/template/VelocityStyleTilesTool.html
>>
>> yep.  even if it's API is a bit verbose. ;)
>
> Why verbose? It's got only 11 methods and 0 or 1 parameter. What are
> you referring to?

the method names, not the size or complexity of the API.
specifically, 9 of 11 methods include the word 'Attribute'.
Personally, i would leave that to be implied, especially with things
like renderAttribute(Attribute) or cloneAttribute(Attribute) where it
is clearly redundant, and shrinking getAttribute(String) to
get(String) would enable the much cleaner $tiles.myAttrKey syntax.

granted, the explicitness of the current method names offers extra
mental clarity/simplicity.  i know enough people who prefer that to
short and/or overloaded method names, that i'm not dogmatic.  i just
can't help making comments sometimes. :)