tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@apache.org>
Subject [REPORT] Apache Tiles Project
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:02:38 GMT
Releases

We have made three releases this quarter. 2.1.2 was a simple bugfix
release that
fixed a security issue documented here:

   http://tiles.apache.org/framework/security/security-bulletin-1.html

Release 2.1.3 is the latest GA release. It includes several other bugfixes and
enhancements. We also released the first version of the 2.2.x series.
Apache Tiles
2.2.0 is an alpha-quality release. It series adds several new
features, including:

 * Native support for Freemarker and Velocity
 * Support for pattern matching using regular expressions.
 * OGNL support and MVEL support in Tiles definition files, when
specifying attributes and templates.
 * Ready to use configuration classes to ease startup with minimal coding.

Additionally, 2.2.0 removes some backwards-compatibility features.
These features
allowed Tiles to work with older architectures (Java 1.4/Servlet 2.4) that are
no longer supported.

Community

As I've noted in the past I am somewhat concerned about the stability of the
Tiles community. We have no trouble mustering up the votes needed for releases.
Development discussions continue to produce multiple points of view. But the
development and release work is still performed by one PMC member. The truth of
the matter is that if this developer stopped working on Tiles there would be no
further progress. There is a healthy amount of traffic on the user
list, but this
developer also answers the bulk of the questions there. So if he were to leave
the project and no one stepped up to take his place that activity would come to
a halt as well. The rest of us are still interested in the project, but it does
not affect our daily work to the extent that we are compelled to contribute in
a more concrete way.

When Tiles was a Struts subproject it was designed to only work with Struts. Now
it is a standalone templating engine that is not tied to a specific framework.
Our biggest user base probably comes from the Spring community. We have a
significant number from the Struts 2 and JSF user base as well. But
most of these
users tend to think of Tiles as a third-party dependency rather than a library
in its own right that needs to be developed. Hence, we have a healthy stream of
user list traffic, but we have been unable to translate any of those people into
new committers. It's worth noting that we have not made a significant effort to
reach out beyond our community to seek growth using the PRC or other resources.

I believe that Tiles still offers some compelling features and there is still
development work to be done. As long as there is still someone around to do the
work and we still have the people to vet releases I'm willing to continue
supporting the project administratively, at least. I don't see Tiles as a
candidate for the Attic at this time, but if development stops it may be in the
future.