tiles-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The future of Tiles (WAS: DRAFT September Board Report)
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:21:17 GMT
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last but not least, Tiles is not a niche as you imagine: it seems that
> it is really appreciated by Spring community, so probably it could
> become a Spring project (joking... almost).

I did not realize that. So is Sitemesh no longer around or do people
just not like to use it? I'll revise the report a bit from the
discussion we're having here. One thing that gets me is that we have a
good bit of user list traffic, but I haven't been able to translate
any of that  into committers.

A bit more of my story... When I first started converting Tiles from
the Struts-Tiles project to Standalone Tiles I had just started my
current job, which is working with portals. I really thought we would
get a lot of use out of Tiles, but our development architecture
wouldn't support it. I think Tiles could be extremely useful in a
portlet server, but I haven't seen it materialize that much, nor have
I had time to pursue it myself. Now our development is more focused on
Flex and Groovy and the like and we hardly do any Servlet-based
development. I also don't do much hobby-coding :-) Most of my hobby
time is spent doing musical stuff.

I'll let this thread run for a while before I revise the board report.
It's supposed to be due today, but I think they moved the meeting to
next week.

Greg