tiles-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Petrelli" <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attribute names in tiles 2.1
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:53:15 GMT
2008/10/1 Oleg Gorobets <oleg.goro@gmail.com>:
> I've noticed that in new tiles 2.1 name is deprecated in Attribute class.
> I'm trying to figure out the reasons why this decision was made..

Simply because the name of an attribute is not of the attribute, but
of the template.
In fact, the name was used only to transfer it to a map into a
Definition, so it was pretty useless to the attribute itself.

> We are constructing a portal solution based on tiles and probably many other
> developers do the same thing. The key point here is being able to handle
> attribute rendering and track their names (which currently serve like window
> ids for portlets).

Isn't the "value" of the attribute enough for the rendering?
The name is only a "placeholder" that it is used to let the template
and the definition "communicate", putting the right attribute in the
right place in the template.

Antonio