tiles-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Petrelli" <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attribute-level extension point
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:05:59 GMT
2008/2/5, Oleg Gorobets <oleg.goro@gmail.com>:

> Sure, I can use a new definition/preparer for each attribute but that's a
> little bit clumsy I guess. If I need to "prepare" every attribute there
> will
> be a lot of unnecessary definitions.

+1 for the "unnecessary" definitions, but I think that the problem is only
in the tiles-defs.xml file.
What I mean is that we can still use the Definition class to describe an
attribute with a preparer. The difference is that an "anonymous" definition
is created whenever an attribute with a preparer is defined in the XML file.
For example:

<definition name="mydef" template="/mytemplate.jsp">
  <put-attribute name="attrib1" value="/firstTile.jsp"/ > <!-- Creates an
Attribute of "template" value -->
  <put-attribute name="attrib1" value="/secondTile.jsp" preparer="
my.package.MyPreparer" /> <!--Creates an attribute of "definition" value, a
new "anonymous" definition with the secondTile.jsp as a template and the
defined preparer. -->
</definition>

The second one is a higher abstraction which can be named "attribute
> renderer" (as stated in TILES-190). This will allow fully customized
> rendering.

In fact I was thinking of a "default renderer" dependent on the attribute
type, and a custom renderer for the particular attribute.
This solution needs a good design though. Anyone is willing to do a Class
Diagram? :-)

Antonio