tiles-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Reddin" <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Struts Tiles and Tiles 2 compatibility
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 17:51:07 GMT
On 5/1/07, David Chisholm <dchisholm@onenetwork.com> wrote:

> Can Struts Tiles and Tiles 2 co-exist in the same web app?  I have a large
> project using Struts Tiles and would like to run both as I migrate it to
> Tiles 2.

Yes and no. The API for Tiles 2 is drastically different from Struts Tiles
so the two frameworks require separate XML files, separate configuration
elements, and separate JSP pages. I don't think it will work to "merge" the
two (i.e. you probably can't just include Tiles 2 elements from Struts Tiles
pages, etc.). The JAR files should be compatible but I'm not real sure how
they will behave if co-deployed.

We do have a task on the list to build a Struts-Tiles compatibility layer
that would allow you to reuse Struts-Tiles pages and XML files with Tiles 2,
but I have no idea when such a library will be available. (If you have ideas
we'd gladly accept patches :-)

PS - I would have posted this to the user list, but it's not accepting
> subscriptions.

Wow, I just noticed that the website links to "tiles-user" instead of
"tiles-users".  To subscribe to "users" please send a mail to
users-subscribe@tiles.apache.org. I'll try to get the site fixed.

Thanks,
Greg