tiles-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Petrelli" <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Module "JSP support"
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:19:20 GMT
2007/1/29, Nathan Bubna <nbubna@gmail.com>:
> However, we then must ask the question of whether we're going to allow
> modules for other template engines too?  I don't think we have to
> answer yes to that, though.  JSP, for all its problems, is the
> "standard" so it is easy to say we will only maintain support for
> Tiles+JSP here.  Then we can leave Tiles+Velocity or Tiles+Freemarker
> to be developed elsewhere.  As the VelocityTools lead, i really don't
> care much either way.

I think that the part of VelocityTools for Tiles is more connected to
Tiles than to Velocity. If you think about Struts 2, the FreeMarker
integration is just inside Struts 2 itself (I think it's a module,
correct me if I am wrong).
I agree that JSP will remain the base for all development, but since
David made a great work on removing the dependencies between the
view/template technology and the rendering, the porting to Velocity
and FreeMarker will be easy (at least for Velocity/Freemarker experts
:-) ) and, I suppose, the best place to put integration code is inside
a Tiles module. You just have not a "JSPTools" for Struts :-)

Just my 2 eurocents
Antonio