tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Automatic web site deployment
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:44:39 GMT
Hi,

So far our web site deployment process has been rather complicated
(see the README.txt), but I'd like to simplify this. The
infrastructure team recently decided to allow projects to generate and
deploy their sites directly from sources without storing the generated
files in svn.

To set such automated site deployment, I modified our Hudson build to
also generate the web site and added the following script to my
personal crontab (to be run once a day) on people.apache.org:

    #! /bin/sh
    umask 002
    if ssh hudson.zones.apache.org \
        test -f tika/target/site/index.html
    then
        /usr/local/bin/rsync \
            -r --delete --rsync-path=/opt/sfw/bin/rsync \
            hudson.zones.apache.org:tika/target/site/ \
            /www/incubator.apache.org/tika
    fi

In my home directory on hudson.zones.apache.org I have a symlink
"tika" that points to the Tika checkout used by our Hudson build. The
script checks that the site is generated (so our site won't break if
there's a build failure) and deploys the generated site to
/www/incubator.apache.org/tika.

Basically, with this machinery in place you just need to commit your
changes to the site sources in src/site and they will be automatically
deployed to the live web site. Also, this mechanism automatically
keeps the Maven reports on our site up to date with the latest changes
in source code.

I hope everyone is happy with with this change. If not, I can revert
the deployment process to what we had before.

BR,

Jukka Zitting