tika-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduating Tika?
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:58:04 GMT
On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 18:25 +0300, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> > I guess the main question is, has the incubation criteria been met?
>
> Looking at [1] I think we are pretty good on almost all points. The
> only thing that could be better is diversity of activity, as currently
> I'm by far the most active committer. I'm not sure how well the
> project would cope with me losing interest or being hit by a bus.

One big thing I am missing is documentation. I mean if we plan to leave
incubation we need some documentation. I know there is the javadocs but
that is not enough.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LABS-118

I asked some colleagues of mine to look into that issue but they are
really struggling without a line of documentation. Sadly personally I
have other tasks to attend but for droids is essential to integrate tika
since it solves completely the parser side if we write a simple wrapper
class to reuse all of tika parser and extend it with link extraction.

> But, as Bertrand said, it might well be that the community will never
> grow much larger at least in terms of active development. With the
> basic parser infrastructure already in place, I think most of the Tika
> development will be incremental in nature (bug fixing, adding support
> for new file formats, etc.) that for most part won't require long term
> involvement or lots of activity.

Personally I think documentation helps building communities. Tika is dev
stuff, you need to read the javadocs/code to understand the concept and
adopt it. That is a way to high entry barrier for a user. We need to
create documentation - maybe good start is documenting the cli.

> I'm not sure if the Apache TLP model works that well for small
> projects like this, so I think it might be better to go for a Lucene
> subproject.

Definitely.

salu2