thrift-user mailing list archives

From <Prabakaran.Natara...@cognizant.com>
Subject Why are you using Thrift? - A survey useful for all of you
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 05:46:31 GMT
Hi

As software servicing company we want to understand why thrift is being
used in many organization.  This will help us to recommend Thrift to our
clients.

Here are my questions:

1)      What is the business of your organization? If you don't any
issue - can you share the name of organization?

2)      Why are you using thrift in your organization?

3)      What type of applications you build using thrift?

4)      What are the alternatives you have considered?  If not you can
have a look at
http://www.predic8.com/protobuf-etch-thrift-comparison.htm

5)      Why don't you expose your services as webservice?  If
performance is the reason how much difference is present?

6)      Have you ever considered eBay's turmeric?

7)      Thrift creates server per service - is that takes of most of
your ports in the data center? Is there is any problem in opening those
ports?

8)      Is there is any performance issue in exposing many thrift
services - because creating multiple servers?

9)      How to access the services across data centers? How do you bring
forth security?

10)   How do I expose my service in SOAP format? I know it doesn't make
sense much but want to understand if there is any such case.

Thanks and Regards

Prabakaran.N

all copies of the original message.
this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.