thrift-user mailing list archives

From Dvir Volk <dvir...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thrift - who is using
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 20:54:18 GMT
OH HAI!

> I want to know who is using thrift,

We at www.doat.com use it to connect a few independent modules in out
backend.

> what are typical problems faced by
> using thrift

The problems we've had weren't so much due to thrift, but rather due to
language limitations.
Our core back end server is written in python, which has a limitation of a
single CPU for all threads in one process.
To overcome this, we wrote and contributed back TProcessPoolServer - a
pre-forked, process pool based server that uses many worker processes in one
wrapper server process.
This has increased our performance considerably.

Another C++ based server we had did not share these issues as we used a non
blocking server.

We are also using PHP based clients.

and I also want to know how to load balance thrift services

We use Pen to load balance the clients. Each front end machine has its own
load balancer that gets automatically configured with the available
backends.
So from the perspective of the client code, it is just connecting to
127.0.0.1:$someport