thrift-user mailing list archives

From Steve Angelovich <SAngelov...@lgc.com>
Subject thrift and JNI
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:51:50 GMT
All,

Has anybody considered using thrift in conjunction with JNI?

I have a large java application where I want to be able to implement
some algorithms in either java or c++.  Right now we do this by writing
a small amount of JNI code or using SWIG.

I'd like to generalize this a little so that the JNI code only has to be
written once instead of for each algorithm.  I can do this purely using
JNI but then I end up with very tight coupling between my c++ code and
the java code.

Does it make any sense to use thrift to define my interface.  Then when
moving between the java and c++ I wouldn't require a socket connection
but would use a memory based transport.

Does this very small code segment look correct for how to move the
contents of the TData java class into a memory buffer and then get it
back?  This is all java code but I could do the same thing with the
first half java and the complementary code in c++.

     byte[] buf = null ;
     {
       TData data = new TData() ;
       TMemoryBuffer transportIn = new TMemoryBuffer(0) ;
       TProtocol oprot = new TBinaryProtocol(transportIn) ;
       data.write(oprot) ;

       transportIn.flush() ;
       buf = transportIn.getArray() ;
       System.out.println("buf.length=" + buf.length) ;
     }

     {
       TTransport transportOut = new TMemoryInputTransport(buf) ;
       TProtocol iprot = new TBinaryProtocol(transportOut) ;
       TData data = new TData() ;
       data.read(iprot) ;
       System.out.println(data.toString()) ;
     }

Has anybody considered writing an implementation of TTransport based on
the NIO ByteBuffer class?

Thanks,
Steve

and delete all copies of this message.