thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ran Tavory <ran...@gmail.com>
Subject RPC for java/python with rest support, HTML monitoring and goodies
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 09:16:18 GMT
Hi, I just posted this question on stackoverflow, I'd appreciate your
answer...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2757040/rpc-for-java-python-with-rest-support-html-monitoring-and-goodies

RPC for java/python with rest support, HTML monitoring and
goodies<http://questions/2757040/rpc-for-java-python-with-rest-support-html-monitoring-and-goodies>

 Here's my set of requirements: I'm looking for an RPC framework such as
thrift, avro, protobuf (when adding services to it) which supports:

   1. Easy and intuitive IDL. No serial numbers, no manual versioning,
   simple... avro is a good example for this.
   2. Works with Java and Python
   3. Supports both fast binary prorocol, as well as HTTP based restful
   style. I'd like to be able to use it for both backend-to-backend
   communication (java-java or python-java) as well as frontend-to-backend
   communication (javascript to java).
   4. The rest support needs to include &param=value input as get/post
   requests (configurable per request) and output in three possible formats:
   json, jsonp, XML.
   5. Compact, fast, backward compatible, easy to upgrade etc...
   6. Provides some nice monitoring interfaces such as: JMX, web page status
   reports (e.g. packets in, packets out, error rate etc)
   7. Ops friendly... no need to take the whole site down to release new
   versions

... other goodies are welcome...

Is there something out there?
So far I've looked at thrift and avro and they are both nice in some ways,
but don't check all my list.

Thanks