thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ron Gross <...@delver.com>
Subject json protocol for .NET
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:06:10 GMT
Hello,

I've just heard of thrift today, and am thinking of using it, mainly in .NET & java.
I have a few starter questions:

1.      Aren't mailing lists so 90s ? Why not use a forum so the archive is public? Or does
it exist and I just missed it?

2.      I noticed that the C# implementation only has the TBinaryProtocol, but not other protocols
that are available in C++ & java. Are there plans of implementing them?

3.      Are there best practice for using code-generation in the build process (in Visual
Studio, specifically)?

a.      Do you keep the autogenerated server/client code in the source control, or just the
IDL?

b.      What do you use to generate the cs files from the IDL inside the Visual Studio IDE?
I found the MSBuild task, but I don't know how to use it in the build process from Visual
Studio (as opposed to a console build).
In C++ one can use custom build actions, but from what I found C# projects in Visual Studio
2008 only support "design time" code generation, which I'm not sure is compatible with what
I want.

Thanks,
Ron