thrift-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Geyer" <je...@apache.org>
Subject 10 years of Thrift as an ASF TLP
Date Sat, 03 Oct 2020 09:58:43 GMT
Hi all,

while noticing that Thrift is going to be an Apache TLP for 10 years very soon (20th of Oct
exactly), I wondered if there might be a good moment to do some sort of a review and some
ooks towards the future of the project. What I am personally would love to know (and see)
is this:

* What language bindings are the most favorite ones used by the community? What can we do
to improve the maintainer situation, like publishing official release artifacts? What about
Erlang, which still lets the pull requests CI runs fail? What about the D language, which
for months now produces deprecation warnings?

* In order to keep the codebase in shape and up-to-date, sometimes it might be a necessary
to get rid of outdated stuff. What language bindings shall in your opinion be deprecated and
dropped, because essentially nobody needs it anymore? We already deprecated AS3 but I think
there could be more. What do you think?

* I’d like to go for an 0.14.0 release in the next weeks. Are there any objections, blockers
or anything you would like to see in that release and (are prepared to help getting it done)?
Any help is of course much appreciated.

* One contributor recently announced to start working on some documentation improvements.
There is also some pressure from INFRA to move away from the ASF CMS, as this is deprecated.
If anybody has some spare hours that he/she likes to spend on that topic – please post to
the dev mailing list. I’d love to see that whole matter brought forward as community effort.

* Anything else you always wanted to share but never did? Please, do it!

Have fiun,
JensG