thrift-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>
Subject Re: Your project's website
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:07:54 GMT
On 29.10.20 02:33, Christopher wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM Duru Can Celasun <dcelasun@apache.org> wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>>> I'm more than happy to do it your way, especially if you think it'd be
>>> easier. My one concern is that the current CMS content isn't exactly
>>> great and my RTD version has improvements, but we can sort that later.
>>> How should we proceed?
>
> Well, ultimately, the decision is up to the Thrift PMC. I can only
> offer suggestions and opinions, as I'm neither a PMC member nor a
> committer for Thrift. The CMS content may not be "great" as is, but it
> is  what is there and working now, and its static HTML and/or basic
> Markdown is 99% compatible with Jekyll's Markdown, so it's easy to
> convert while preserving the existing site look and feel... just to
> get off of CMS as quickly as possible. However, since I'm not a
> committer for Thrift, there's little I can do to actually make it
> happen. *IF* the PMC wants to go that route to get things done
> quickly, I can convert over the Markdown this week, and put it in my
> own repo for them to use directly, but I don't want to do that effort
> if that's not what they want to do. If they want to go with
> readthedocs to replace the site look and feel at the same time as
> getting off of CMS (rather than two steps), then I'd rather spend my
> effort trying to help you (since you're a PMC member working on this)
> get the builds automated and an .asf.yaml file in place to trigger the
> publication.

I have to admit that I'm becoming a bit frustrated with the situation
of the website. I was ready to invest a few days of work in the content
when I started with thrift _one_year_ago_. But the content was not
(easily) editable and was spread out over multiple pages. In my very
personal opinion it would be essential for the project to get a page
ASAP. And it would _really_ help new users if the new page replaces all
spread-out information from current pages like thrift.apache.org,
github.com/apache/thrift, thrift-tutorial.readthedocs.io etc. And the
page should be really easy to edit for non-members, like i.e. in a
public git repository.

I was under the impression that this is where Duru Can Celasun was going,
and I think that _if_ this requires more discussion then whoever suggests
something else should also carry this wagon for a bit. Whoever can
provide that gets my vote.

All the best,

    Mario