thrift-dev mailing list archives

From "Duru Can Celasun" <dcela...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docker build not working as expected?
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2020 09:30:13 GMT
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020, at 08:49, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:

> Hi Can and all,
>
> On 03.06.20 00:14, Duru Can Celasun wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, at 21:56, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> whenever I check the Travis builds, I see that many of them take
> >> a significant portion of their time to build new docker images. I've
> >> checked the Travis build instructions but is not completely obvious
> >> what the desired behavior would be. Is somebody maintaining this
> >> and could take a look?
> >
> > I think James King (jking) was maintaining the Docker images, but that was at least
a year ago and he doesn't seem to be active anymore. I'd say feel free to make any improvements.

> >> In short, I'm under the impression that the docker-stages do _not_
> >> build and push the updated docker images, and therefore subsequent
> >> build jobs _do_ build updated images but lack the push credentials.
> >>
> >> Rather than just looking for the flaw in this, I would prefer to
> >> build docker images completely independent of the build jobs.
> >> I think a cron job and a completely separated build logic would be
> >> better and easier to maintain?
> >
> > Cron jobs would require us to talk to INFRA and have them setup some sort of system
and I'm hesitant to create yet another thing we'd have to maintain. We're already struggling
as is (e.g the npm package situation).

> I agree that low maintenance overhead is a very high goal. I'm not
> very knowledgable with Travis. Does it directly allow cron jobs?
> I found something here: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/cron-jobs/
> but I've never seen the admin interface. Do you know who can do
> admin maintenance on Travis?

I wasn't aware Travis had cron jobs either but it seems like I have access to the settings
and I can setup new cron jobs for the master branch.

> I'm really open to any ideas, but generally I think building the
> docker images and the normal build jobs together may not be the
> "easiest" route. I could even think a separate thrift-docker-images
> project would be simpler. Would that be an idea?

I think we can keep it as a single repository, but skip the docker images if the build is
not triggered by cron. Travis says we can check for TRAVIS_EVENT_TYPE=cron environment variable.

What do you think?

Best,
Can