thrift-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Please respond to THRIFT-4998
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2019 19:02:52 GMT
Thanks for the response, Can!
That was very helpful information. I appreciate you taking the time to
explain and to point me to a specific issue where improvements are
being made to the website that relates to my concerns about community
health.
I will continue to watch the list, and follow some of the tickets a
bit more in this area, to see if there's any place for me to help out
when I can.

-Christopher

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 6:08 AM Duru Can Celasun <dcelasun@apache.org> wrote:

> Apologies for the delay.  I'll answer inline.
>
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2019, at 10:42, Christopher wrote:
> > Ping. Are there any active committers at all? Do the devs read the
> > developer mailing list?
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:34 PM Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Are there any committers who can answer my question? Or respond to my
> > > suggestion?

> While nobody is formally assigned any specific duties, it's true that few individuals
have the access, know how and experience to handle certain duties.

> Only a handful of committers are active and due to the multi-language nature of thrift,
expertise is usually limited to a few languages each.

> New committers are added every year, but activity levels are not at a level where every
single issue can be handled in a timely manner. As for release management, see below.

> We are working on new version of the website [1] that will update and merge various bits
of documentation, particularly about thrift internals, which should make it easier for new
contributors to be onboarded.

> We also have docs for release management [2] but few are familiar with it and it doesn't
yet include instructions for language specific package managers.

> I appreaciate your concerns, we are aware of the problems and there is ongoing work on
improving things on all fronts. It simply takes a lot of time as there are only a handful
of us and we all work on thrift in our spare time.

> Best,
> Can
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-4710
> [2] https://github.com/apache/thrift/blob/master/doc/ReleaseManagement.md