thrift-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Geyer" <je...@apache.org>
Subject @all: About activity levels, contributors and committers (was: Please respond to THRIFT-4998)
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2019 02:06:53 GMT
@all,
@Christopher,

I'm not quite sure if this is the right medium. But since you brought it up,
I will make the best out of it and try to answer it from my personal
viewpoint and while doing that, I also speak to everybody else who
subscribed to this mailing list.

At first, thank you for your valuable insights.

Yes, we are trying to grow the base of active people. We added 2 committers
and one PMC in the last weeks, and we will continue to do that. If you know
people who want to be active here - they are welcome. We do have plenty of
committers and PMC members, and - let's be honest - we currently do have
more inactive people than active ones, unfortunately. We would love to
change that better sooner than later, but you know, everything here at the
ASF is voluntary work. So unless people intrinsically want to contribute or
if they simply got other priorities, they don't. That's fine, and it is a
normal fact of life.

Potential new committers and PMC member candidates need to have at least
some understanding about what we are doing here. So that process also needs
some time. Plus, we are not Hadoop or Hive or some other more fancy ASF
project, we are "only" an awesome, enabling, middleware technology - a
factor that might certainly be a reason why we are not getting overwhelmed
with volunteers.

Fortunately, the last weeks saw an increase in new contributions which will
hopefully lead to more committers etc. - to all those people I'd like to
take the opportunity and thank you for every single patch you sent and for
everything else you contributed so far. We will look at every PR or patch.
It might not happen immediately, but we will!

And I also want to thank those brave few who spare some of their valuable
time to help out more actively than others.

> that is the responsibility of any PMC member or committer.

Exactly. Any.

The ticket was in the system for everyone to see and react on it.

This is open source. Everybody is free to use it, yes - and to contribute.
If there are only takers, then ... well, Dear Reader, I leave that to your
imagination.

For those who now ask themselves, how they can get a committer invitation:
It's easier thank you think! It all starts here:
http://thrift.apache.org/docs/HowToContribute

@PMC: You know that you may start votes for candidates yourself, do you?

Have fun,
JensG