thrift-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Geyer" <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Version lifecycle management
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2019 08:13:47 GMT
Hi,

> As far as I understand, for each version/release, there is
> a specific branch being created

Correct.

> - What are current supported versions/branches?

Since we're still below 1.0 the accepted policy is to only support the
latest stable, i.e. 0.13.0 at this time.

We made at least one exception in the past to fix some security related
things in a very specific case, but this is literally the proverbial
exception to the rule.

> - What's the effort committed on the supported branches?
> Regarding to bug fix and backporting new features from master branch?

Current policy is: Only when absolutely necessary and unavoidable.

- Do we have a way to announce the end of life of a specific version?

>From a process point of view, all older versions than 0.13.0 are end-of-life
as they are usually no longer supported, although you may still get answers
on the various channels regarding 0.9.3 for example. There is no explicit
announcement about end of life status, if you are looking for that.

Aside from breaking changes like we plan to do with the already deprecated
C# support and with changes due to language version upgrades, Thrift is
backwards compatible. In other words, if the server runs on 0.13.0 and the
client on 0.9.3 or any other version, they still will be able to connect and
talk to each other. All Thrift language bindings make it as easy as possible
to upgrade the Thrift version used in your toolchain. Hence, the
recommendation is to always go with the latest stable.

Have fun,
JensG

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
I'd like to raise a (rookie) question about thrift: do we have some clear
definition of the way we manage different versions of apache thrift? I
could not find much useful information in the search engine.
As far as I understand, for each version/release, there is a specific
branch being created. Besides that, I think it is worth to be clear about
the following questions:
- What are current supported versions/branches?
- What's the effort committed on the supported branches? Regarding to bug
fix and backporting new features from master branch?
- Do we have a way to announce the end of life of a specific version?

Best regards,
Qinghui Xu