thrift-dev mailing list archives

From "James E. King III" <jk...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Proposal to deprecate C++03 support as of 0.12.0
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2018 14:47:31 GMT
Advantages:

  1. Simplify the C++ runtime implementation mainly
     in the areas of threading.
  2. Resolve platform porting issues.
  3. Eliminate the dependency on boost for runtime.

Disadvantages:

  1. Folks who need C++03 support are stuck at 0.12.0

Other projects like boost are beginning to move forward
as well.  I think it's time we do the same, so I would
like to call out comments and a vote.

[ ] +1 Deprecate C++03 as of 0.12.0, use C++11 next release.
[ ] -1 Keep C++03 support in thrift going forward.

The vote is open until Friday, January 04, at 20:00 UTC due
to the holidays and passes if at least three positive votes
from the active PMC group are cast.

For folks not in the Thrift PMC, your comments are still
quite welcome on the matter, and may help folks make a
decision.

Thanks,

Jim King, PMC Member, Apache Thrift