thrift-dev mailing list archives

From paul cannon <>
Subject Re: Thrift debain/ubuntu packages
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 19:02:09 GMT
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:33 +0100, Roger Meier <> wrote:
> [...]

It's not required, but it could make it more likely to get good
motivated packaging contribution, since typically a single person is
responsible for a particular source package (think one debian/ folder).
And one person who needs the thrift Perl bindings may be very good at
packaging Perl software -- and yet have no need for, skill in, or
interest in packaging the others. In Eric's case, he is motivated to
package thrift-compiler, python-thrift, and libthrift-java, but not
(particularly) the others.

If Eric goes ahead with his packages, I will likely contribute to those,
and probably pick up a few of the other language pieces.

> > The reason for this is that the whole thing covers too many disciplines to
> > have a single person (at least this person) maintaining it all throughout a
> > Debian release life-cycle.
> The people creating the Debian packages would anyway become familiar with
> the thrift source tree. And probably use the mailing list here.
> The separation of build and install files per language already simplifies
> the management of the Debian packages within one debian folder.

It's not necessarily the case that Debian packagers would need to become
familiar with the entire thrift source tree- the different parts of lib/
are rather nicely self-contained, for the most part. And like Eric said,
there are an awful lot of disciplines involved in maintaining packages
for all of thrift. Creating good PHP packages requires a familiarity
with a quite different set of policies and best practices from those for
packaging Ruby.

> For many languages people use language specific package formats.
> Beside of the thrift-compiler package, what languages do people really need
> as a Debian package?

In the circles I inhabit, there is an especially strong need for
packaged Python and Java thrift libraries, but PHP, Ruby, C++, and C#
would certainly get good use as well.

Yes, people can already use PyPI, easy_install, gem, maven, etc., etc.,
but especially in deployment scenarios it is often much easier to be
able to bring in Thrift bindings as a depedency of one's OS packages.
Getting packages from one's OS vendor also adds the normal benefits of
assured OS compatibility, simple security updates, easier system
management, and more.

View raw message