thrift-dev mailing list archives

From "Casagrande, Norman" <nor...@last.fm>
Subject Use of T_ONEWAY
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 15:15:20 GMT
Hi,

While writing a simple application that balances thrift calls to different servers, I stumbled
upon oneway (former async) calls. From a processor prospective there's no way to tell whether
one call will return or not, forcing me to provide such information upfront.

This seems odd given that TProtocol defines T_ONEWAY as one of the possible message types
(see the TMessageType enum), but apparently this is *never* being used: any function use T_CALL
instead.

Normally this is not a problem because the compiler generates both the server and the client
code and they both know which call is oneway and which not, but that's not the case for definition-agnostic
programs that wants to parse the thrift serialized data.

This seemed to be the goal of the patch in THRIFT-388, but I have seen no updates since.

Is there any way around this?

--
Norman Casagrande
Head of Music Research