tcl-websh-user mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ronnie.brun...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: mod_websh DLL on Windows and other questions
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:40:01 GMT
> In 3.6.0b4 (released version), copying the .so file to the modules
> directory was sufficient on Windows. In the current CVS head, the .dll
> also needs to be copied. The README specifically says the DLL is not
> needed to run the Apache module and should be fixed. Only a nit, but
> someone might spend a half-hour trying to figure out why Apache will not
> load the module (like I did).

Sorry for that one. I just committed a fix in the REAMDE.

> Also, another small request - would it be possible to change the build
> or patch number in CVS to distinguish from the released 3.60.b4 ?

Yeah, I guess it's about time to release at least 3.6.0b5. Unfortunately,
I was reproved by Apache for releasing anything without following the
proper ASF rules. It's about time I find out how to do it properly, I
guess ;-) (Just using some "-SNAPSHOT" version does not really solve
the problem of knowing what code is in use, it just makes sure that
you don't mix up the released version with any other build... I'll try
to think of something.)

> Finally two questions, on both Windows and *ix, does mod_websh need to
> be built differently based on the Apache process model (MPM etc.) ? How
> about whether the Tcl binaries are built threaded or not ?

No, mod_websh does not care about MPMs or threads in Tcl (i.e. you
don't have to change anything when building). Websh itself is thread
safe. But it certainly makes difference when it's run in different
environments:
- If Apache runs in any threaded MPM, Tcl Must be threaded as well.
- CGI case is independent of the model (for obvious reasonsn ;-)
- If your Websh app uses threads: Tcl must be threaded too, regardless
  of the MPM Apache runs
- Interpreter handling is different when running in threaded
  vs. non-threaded MPMs: For every (Apache) process there is an
  interpreter pool. While requests can share interpreters within a
  process, they cannot do so across processes. (For example this needs
  to be considered when you try to create sessions kept in memory of
  the Apache process, which only works properly if you run Apache in a
  single process mode.)

Hope that helps
Ronnie
--
Ronnie Brunner | ronnie.brunner@netcetera.ch
phone +41-44-247 79 79 | fax +41-44-247 70 75