tcl-websh-user mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ronnie.brun...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: Authentification
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:14:49 GMT
Hi Holger

> some time ago (Apr 2006) we had a discussion on how to add access to
> user/password from the authentication of APACHE.

Sure I remember. I actually have some uncommitted code lying around, but
I never really made it work properly. If you accidentially followed my
post on c.l.t two days ago: thats' one of those loose ends, I'd like to
tie sometime ;-)

> Today I installed websh on a new server (upgrading to APACHE 2.2.10).
> I had some problems, which basically resulted from using
>
>     web::response -httpresponse  "HTTP/1.x 401"
>
> which worked fine with APACHE 2.0. Now it needs to be
>
>     web::response -httpresponse  "HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized"
>
> otherwise the response status will not make it to the
> browser. Instead "HTTP/1.0 200 OK" is sent, which is not triggering
> the user/password dialog in the browser.
> This seems to be in the APACHE part, at least I did not see anything
> in websh to do this.

A similar problem was reported ercently about -httpresponse not
working anymore. A workaround for pretty much any header to send seems

    web::response -set Status "401 $myResponseText"

> > You have me almost convinced :-) ...
>
> For this new installation I decided to use the newest version from
> SVN, also because there were some bugfixes with response and APACHE
> 2.2 reported. I sadly recognized, that the changes were not in
> (yet). Any plans to do so?

As I wrote above: Plan: yes. Any time soon? I can't promise
anything. I have another thing I want to commit first: load
libwebsh.so/websh.dll from websh/websh.exe and mod_websh.so instead of
statically linking the same object code to the various targets. (No
functional change, but just a cleaner way to deploy, as the compiled
code installed only once.) When this is done: I'll give it another
try.

> However, I integrated your patch for 2.0 and it again works like a
> charm for me.

Thanks for letting me kow :-)

Cheers
Ronnie
--
Ronnie Brunner | ronnie.brunner@netcetera.ch
phone +41-44-247 79 79 | fax +41-44-247 70 75