tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Logging in web::finalizer
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:29:34 GMT
Hi Websh hackers

I just tried to figure out, why logging in web::finalizer (mod_websh)
doesn't work. The answer is simple: there is a proc
web::ap::perReqInit and a proc web::ap::ReqCleanup in mod_websh that
reset some stuff for different requests. As it is now,
web::ap::perReqCleanup deletes all log destinations and log filters
this is to prevent that subsequent requests don't create multiple
destinations and filters (seems to make sense). -> In web::finalizer
there are no filters and destinations anymore (because this is always
called after the request has long finished (i.e. also after
web::ap::reqCleanup)

Now I've got some solutions and I'd like to here some comments about
which one to implement:

1. do nothing and tell everyone who has that problem to repeat the
needed web::logdest and web::logfilter commands in web::finalizer
(draw back: not really that transparent)

2. also do nothing and tell people to overwrite web::ap::perReqCleanup
(draw back: not too transparent either)

3. put [web::logdest delete] and [web::logfilter delete] in
web::ap::perReqInit instead of web::ap::perReqCleanup
(draw back: only setting log destinations and filters in
web::initializer will not work. But then, that doesn't work either
currently ;-)

4. remove the [web::logdest delete] and [web::logfilter delete] from
web::ap::perReqCleanup and change the implementation of web::logdest
and web::logfilter so that subsequent calls with the same arguments
will not create a new logdest or logfilter respectively.
The clear advantage would be that you can define your logging stuff in
web::initializer, but you also don't have problems if you define them
in your per request code. In addition, there is no need to delete them
after a request has finished -> they will still be available in
web::finalizer
(draw back: more work than the others)

All in all I tend to favor the last approach, but it's more work and a
bigger change. Is compatibility an issue? Does anyone see a porblem?

Any comments?

Thx
Ronnie