tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: Linux Magazin article / Suggestions
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:34:28 GMT
Ronnie Brunner <ronnie@netcetera.ch> writes:

> We have it here (in paper) and it's quite favorable towards
> Websh. (We know the author and were actually asked to contribute to
> the article, which we didn't, afaik, partly because I was on
> vacation, I guess ;-)

Good to hear:-)

> Carsten even references mod_tcl and rivet, but only by name and
> included URLs in the appendix. Better than nothing...

I'm happy with publicity for any of the projects!

While I'm thinking about it, I had a couple of suggestions for quick
updates:

1) You might consider grabbing the latest XSL stylesheets from Rivet.
   I've continued to update it, and I think the results are nice.  For
   instance, I have it doing 'chunking' output (multiple pages instead
   of one big page), and have improved the colors and look (at least I
   think so!).

2) You might consider a search'n'replace for 'regexp' and 'regsub'
   commands where there are now 'string' commands.  For example:

web::command processPageOne {
    state::init
    if {![regexp {^[0-9]+$} [web::formvar a]]} {
        # The input field does not contain only digits, so show page one again
        # including an error message.
        pageOne "Please enter a number."

The regexp there would be faster as 'string is integer' - not to
mention not grabbing a place in the regexp cache.

There are backwards compatibility considerations there, but I think
you will be ok with 8.3 and above.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/