tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Status development websh3.5 and documentation
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:58:26 GMT
We're somehow behind schedule: we planned a release by end of last
month. I would appreciate, if we could concentrate on the important
stuf now, so the effort we put into the project actually gets us
somewhere.

- Are there any code issues that still need to be looked at?

- What's the status of the web site migration?

- The documentation still sucks (oops, xcuse my language)

Imho we need to put most of the effort into the documentation. A few
suggestions and issues that came up when I looked at quickref.xml
today:

- the commands are not consistently documented (e.g. web::tempfile
  does not have a syntax)

- The contents is very un-readable. A few suggestions (just as a
  discussion basis):
  - Split Command dispatching and session management into two chapters
  - *Only* have the commands as subchapters (except for the
    introduction chapter) I don't know if that scales, but I'd like to
    have a cleaner Contents section
  - This would actually imply that the examples have to be moved
    somehow (either create an examples section at the end and link the
    different chapters to the examples)
  - Move the general description stuff to the beginning of the
    respective section (e.g. in the Command dispatching section the
    stuff about the cmdurlcfg)
  I know that I haven't the cool solution either, but we definitly
  have to improve the documentation not just on the content side, but
  also on the formal side.

- Documentation is not uptodate. e.g. web::cmdurlcfg still describes
  the -protocol option
  -> we HAVE to really look at every command in detail and check the
  documentation for accuracy. And I don't see a different way than
  splitting up [info commands web::*] and assign a couple of commands
  to everyone willing to spend a couple of hours.

Opinions?