tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: session timeouts
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:31:46 GMT
Unfortunately I'm not up-to-date on that discussion, but my understanding
is, that there are different approaches to handle timeouts (with some ad-
and disadvantages):

URL timestamp
+ independent of any sessions context (files or other states)
+ could enforce click tracks (only timestamps newer that the last
  request are allowed: needs serverside state info)
- timestamp can be turned off (so it wouldn't work), but this is under
  the control of the developer -> not a big issue
- doesn't properly handle back button issues (use an old link from the
  browser history but be in a very "current" session)

Absolute TTL of a session
+ independent of URL
- usually not very usefull
- needs a session start reference (i.e. cookie or server side context)

Timeout on server session
+ keeps track of last access (request) and timeouts after some time of
  inactivity
+ independent of URL timestamp -> no problems with back button
- needs a last access reference (i.e. cookie or server side context)

So my question is: which approach do you try to model with your "flow
chart" code sample? Which case is the one that is most needed/helpful?