tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: remaining source code issues
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:48:22 GMT
Ronnie Brunner <ronnie@netcetera.ch> writes:

> > Should the recently committed changes be acceptable, there are
> > just a few things left off of the bug list to do in the actual
> > source code:

> >         Decide what to do about {=.  I don't like it much, myself.

> I'd throw it out. The same can be achieved with

>     proc = {msg} {web::put $msg}

> so there is no added value in it, just more code and exceptions and
> stuff.

Ok, sounds good to me.

> >         Decide what to do about attempting to catch blocks of code in
> >         'putx'.

> After thinking about it for a while, I tend to agree with David: let
> the developer care. if he doesn't want a code block to crash, he's
> got to catch it and react properly {if {[catch {do somthing
> stupid}]} {web::put "I'm sorry"}}. -> putx should just normaly
> return as soon as there is an uncaught error.

It might be nice to create a utility proc for the if {[catch
.... idiom.  That gives people a simple wrapper to use without
cluttering up their code too much.  How about:

proc docatch {code {errmsg "Error occured: $err"}} {
    if { [catch {
	uplevel $code
    } err] } {
	puts [subst -nobackslashes -nocommands "$errmsg"]
    }
}

> > Beyond that, what else is there to do before we are ready to
> > freeze the source code?  There are a number of fixme's in the
> > sources - are there any of them that should be given priority?

> It seems there are still tons of fixmes in the mod_websh part of the
> code. I think we should make sure that the most important one of
> those are fixed: i.e. have a reliable mod_websh for the release. (I
> haven't looked at them very specifically yet.)

I have been looking through them some, but any triage you can provide
will be helpful.

> I'd like to look at some issues when you David are in Zurich next
> week: I'll opt for the code freeze after your visit. (But what ever
> you can do before that -> all the better.)

Ok.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton