tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject websh status regarding up-coming release of version 3.5
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:01:39 GMT
David Welton spent two days here in Zurich with us (Jason
Brazile, Simon Hefti, Andrej Vckovski and Me) to resolve some of the
open issues regarding websh.

Here's a conclusion of what we discussed and worked on:

Release
- new version will be websh 3.5. Release date: end of March 2002.

Code
- beeing able to configure separate interpreter pools for virtual
  servers will not be in the coming release. we'll deal with it at a
  later time.
- we definitly need to do some testing on mod_websh. David is writing
  some tests, but we also need some additional real test cases -> who
  ever has a chance to do some testing: let us know.
- Excluding log levels (#4714): this has been discussed. Will be
  included in 3.5 if time permits.
- Error handling for errors in putx blocks. This is in the application
  developer's responsibility not in websh's. (A hint in the "recipes"
  section of the documentation will be added)
- automated session cleanup (global vars and stuff) is also in th
  developer's responsibility (see "recipes" section of documentation)
- fixmes: most of them hae been discussed and many resolved. (Some
  updates are still due within the next days.
- handling of files regarding 404 and web::interpmap in mod_websh: the
  main problem seems to be that the proposed use cases for mod_websh
  configurations are kind a complicated. -> We try to be clearer here
  (documentation) before we decide a change in behavior.

Documentation
- formal issues: we have looked at the docbook more closely and
  figured out a better way of describing commands this will include some
  overrides of some XSL styles for the HTML (and other format)
  versions. David will be woking on it.
- consistency of what's documented and what's implemented: After an
  initial cleanup we'll try to split the commands into reasonable
  packages and ask people to take a close look at one of the packages.
- "Recipes" section: collection of hints on some issues such as
  handling of errors in templates (web::putx), preventing session
  cross-talk, how to use web::interpmap, command dispatching ...
- "Installation" section: how to install websh / mod_websh
- "Examples" section: very brief inline examples to complement the
  examples directory (which has to be reviewed again)

Web site
- the code has been transferred to David. (see his separate mail
  subjected "web site migration")
- take care and migrate the existing mailing lists to tcl.apache.org

So much for now. Comments appreciated
Ronnie