tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: 'initcode' purpose?
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:40:00 GMT
Ronnie Brunner <ronnie@netcetera.ch> writes:

[ websh-dev is CC'ed - hopefully we can start migrating there for
technical discussions. ]

> > I've been looking at the build procedure, and am wondering about
> > the purpose of 'initcode' - why does it need to turn everything
> > into hex?

> Some compilers used to have some problems with static strings
> greater than 64kB, that's why we put that there.

I see.  By 'used to' how recently are we talking about?  Have a list
of those compilers?

> 1. it does not have to be a C program (coud be done in a shell)

Tcl could easily do this.

> 2. might not be needed at all anymore

This is really the crucial one, isn't it.  Although I guess we could
split the code up into smaller chunks, if needs be.  Can you provide
me with any context on why that wasn't done before?  Something like:

char *InitString1 = "......";
char *InitString2 = "......";

and so on...

> 3. the current length of the script is less than 64kB anyway ...

> If you think it's safe to leave this away: feel free to clean that
> stuff up...

I am always in favor of getting rid of stuff that's "strange", but
only if we can do it without hurting anything, of course.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/