tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: 'initcode' purpose?
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:13:36 GMT
Ronnie Brunner <ronnie@netcetera.ch> writes:

> Unfortunately I can't tell you anymore. I only know, that this code
> has been around for (at least 4) years. Since then, nobody really
> bothered to find out whether it's still needed. (It doesn't change
> the code, it's just some build overhead.

Sure, but as someone who's external to the original group, I see
something like that and say "huh? what is this stuff?".  If we hope to
get more people involved in working with this code, making it as
accesible as possible to anyone who wants to have a look.

I didn't hear a strong voice of "we really need to optimize it" during
our meeting, so I'm operating with the theory that fixing bugs is more
important.  Time permitting, one thought might be to have a look at
the TclPro suite (now Free Software) and see what it might take to
precompile these scripts into bytecode.

> > I am always in favor of getting rid of stuff that's "strange", but
> > only if we can do it without hurting anything, of course.

> I'd say we try unless Simon has any other memory of why he took it
> from websh2 when he started websh3

Ok, I'm more than happy to.  I've filed an 'enhancement' bug on
nagoya: to test out the system, and to make a note of it to do later.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/