tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: 'initcode' purpose?
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:14:40 GMT
> > Some compilers used to have some problems with static strings
> > greater than 64kB, that's why we put that there.
>
> I see.  By 'used to' how recently are we talking about?  Have a list
> of those compilers?

Unfortunately I can't tell you anymore. I only know, that this code
has been around for (at least 4) years. Since then, nobody really
bothered to find out whether it's still needed. (It doesn't change the
code, it's just some build overhead.

> This is really the crucial one, isn't it.  Although I guess we could
> split the code up into smaller chunks, if needs be.  Can you provide
> me with any context on why that wasn't done before?  Something like:
>
> char *InitString1 = "......";
> char *InitString2 = "......";

As I said: long time no effort.

> I am always in favor of getting rid of stuff that's "strange", but
> only if we can do it without hurting anything, of course.

I'd say we try unless Simon has any other memory of why he took it from
websh2 when he started websh3

Ronnie
Netcetera AG, 8040 Zuerich    phone +41 1 247 79 79 Fax: +41 1 247 70 75