tcl-rivet-dev mailing list archives

From "David Welton" <davidnwel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: manipulating http headers with rivet (solved)
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:32:38 GMT
On 2/27/07, Massimo Manghi <manghi@biol.unipr.it> wrote:
> It seems I succeeded in setting the headers correctly:
> files are downloaded correctly and their actual names
> are passed on to the browser.

> I volunteer for writing an example of file download
> for the unexperienced (like me) that could approach
> web programming with rivet (a new subsection in the
> "examples and usage" section?)

That would be excellent!

> The much despised php language has lots of documentation
> available on the web and on books, no doubt.

PHP really is distasteful:-)  If that were Rivet's only competition,
there's no way I would have stopped working on Rivet!  My latest
finding:

http://journal.dedasys.com/articles/2007/02/27/php4-php5-objects-and-cloning

Yuck...

> I also wonder what is the real purpose of the popular
> command line utility HEAD. I thought it would print the
> actual headers sent over by the script running on
> the web server, but it seems it didn't...

Maybe that is a bug with Rivet, but it's a tough call.  You don't
really want to execute the whole file and then just send out a header,
in some ways....

This is the C code that you'd want to look at to learn more about this
particular feature/bug, in mod_rivet.c :-)

    if (r->header_only)
    {
	TclWeb_SetHeaderType(DEFAULT_HEADER_TYPE, globals->req);
	TclWeb_PrintHeaders(globals->req);
	retval = OK;
	goto sendcleanup;
    }